Friday, September 6, 2013

You know the Difference Between "Theater" and "Theatre"

...and you get annoyed when people get them mixed up! I figured since the title in my blog includes "theatre" I should explain the difference between the two words. (and yes, there is one!) Although Weber (my English teacher) has been trying to tell me that it's the American vs. the British spelling (which is slightly true), the difference is more than just that. It's pretty simple, so I won't bore you all with long, detailed descriptions, I promise! 


THEATRE

                                                     

                                                                   VS.



THEATER

Theatre, as you can see from the picture above, is an art. When you talk about performing (singing, dancing, and acting), you are referencing theatre. For example, when people go to school to study performing because they want to be in the entertainment business one day, they will be studying theatre. 

A theater is the actual place that you go to to watch a show, whether it be a play, musical, or even a movie. That's why you go to a movie theater. A theater can also be called an auditorium. That's why my blog is "You know you're a Theatre kid when...", because we all enjoy the art of theater (although theaters a pretty nice too!) 

It's as simple as this: you go to a theater to watch theatre





1 comment:

  1. Thank you, I never really knew the difference. I knew it was British vs American, but now you have enlightened me! I will now never seem so idiotic around my theatre friends.

    ReplyDelete